If you’re thinking of starting an ecommerce business, then you’re probably wondering how to set up a user-friendly and streamlined webstore. With hundreds of options for ecommerce platforms, the decision can feel daunting without some guidance.
Ecommerce platforms should support your business by offering customers an accessible shopping experience. Here are our top picks for the best platforms to use in ecommerce.
What are the Criteria for a Successful Ecommerce Platform?
An ecommerce platform should simplify your life. Platforms that require too much maintenance or extensive coding knowledge aren’t a viable option for most business owners.
An effective ecommerce platform should be:
- Easy to Modify – As inventory changes, customer demands shift, or seasonal items become available, it’s crucial to modify your ecommerce site easily and without needing the help of a web designer. Sites should be streamlined and user-friendly when it comes to making routine modifications and managing inventory.
- Established – Work with sites that are reputable and have a recognizable name. Customers are more likely to engage with your brand if they recognize the ecommerce platform you use.
- An Opportunity for Growth: Since many business owners are just entering the world of ecommerce, growth is a top priority. Established ecommerce platforms will help build your business from the ground up, while prioritizing functionality and aesthetic elements.
Top Ecommerce Platforms
Shopify is the gold standard when it comes to ecommerce platforms. Shopify is simple to use, scalable, and offers ample learning resources to improve your experience. Shopify offers customers the option to choose from hundreds of free templates to create a unique, professional online store.
- Price: Shopify starts at $29 per month for the basic plan.
- Maintenance: Since Shopify is a fully hosted site, you don’t need to spend any time on maintenance or updates.
- Payment: Shopify supports over a hundred payment gateways, and offers customers a convenient and hassle-free experience.
#2 Magento (Adobe Commerce)
Magento, a part of Adobe Commerce, is an open-source ecommerce platform focused on providing users with a highly customizable experience. Because Magento offers open-source design capabilities, customers have the flexibility create a site that fits their unique needs.
- Price: Magento is free to download but all website features, add-ons etc. are an additional cost.
- Maintenance: Magento requires more hands-on development and doesn’t include as many features already integrated into the platform.
- Payment: Magento supports a variety of payment methods including PayPal and Amazon Pay.
With a massive online presence and perhaps the most recognizable name in ecommerce, Amazon continues to be a top choice ecommerce platform for many online businesses. Amazon is a fantastic choice for small & mid-size businesses who don’t have enough traffic to keep their brand visible in a larger marketplace.
- Price: Amazon Professional is $39.99 per month plus additional selling fees.
- Maintenance: Amazon requires almost no maintenance, but also offers
little to nolimited customization for their storefront.
- Payment: Amazon accepts a variety of credit and debit cards.
#4 Facebook Marketplace
Social selling platforms are a fantastic way to reach a niche audience and spread product awareness via social media. Facebook marketplace offers Facebook users a unique opportunity to sell and purchase products through a social media platform.
- Price: Facebook Marketplace is free with a Facebook account, but does require listings to adhere to specific guidelines.
- Maintenance: Like Amazon, Facebook Marketplace requires almost no maintenance, but offers very limited customizable features in their web shop.
- Payment: Facebook Marketplace accepts credit cards, debit cards, and PayPal.
Integrated Ecommerce Management Software
At Digitbridge, we offer our customers integrated ecommerce management solutions, built to support businesses of all sizes. Instead of juggling multiple services, Digitbridge offers business owners an all-in-one experience, where you can buy, sell, and fulfill all from one centralized platform. Digitbridge’s capabilities include omnichannel accessibility and real-time insights. Plus, Digitbridge offers integrations with multiple ecommerce platforms and online marketplaces including:
- Facebook Marketplace
Digitbridge enables users to seamlessly integrate product data across channels, allowing businesses to manage their inventory from one platform. Ultimately, our goal is to provide our clients with intuitive and user-focused software designed for ecommerce functionality. Ready to get started? Contact us today for a free demo.